Menu:     Home    About/Contact    Markers    Activities    Landmarks    Bergheim    Boerne    Comfort    Kendalia    Sisterdale    Waring    Welfare    Add-Event   M
Upcoming Activities:


Richard Caldwell interviewing Herff decendents

The beginnings of Bergheim - Event in/near Bergheim


Photo Credit: Jay Pennington   click to their website

The beginnings of Bergheim


- Bergheim (Home in the Hills) was established by Andreas Engel. In 1900 Engel sold his first store and bought three acres of land at the site of the present Bergheim Post Office (1901). A cotton gin was installed in 1900 and he opened the store in 1903.


Location of this event:
The beginnings of Bergheim

Today's Five !!!

St. Mary's Sanitarium 1896 - in/near Boerne

Click photo to enlarge

Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)

St. Mary's Sanitarium


A facility used for the treatment of tuberculosis (TB). One of the founders of this sanitarium was Dr. Ferdinand Herff, a prominent early German settler in Boerne. Dr. Herff was instrumental in getting the railroad from San Antonio to Boerne which would help get his patients to Boerne. Boerne was a center for the treatment of TB due to its fresh air as at this point there were no antibiotics for TB. This building was torn down in 1930.




Click here to read more about it...

The beginnings of Waring 1887 - in/near Waring

Click photo to enlarge

Photo Credit: Jay Pennington  
click to their website

The beginnings of Waring


Originally known as Waringford: R. P. M. Waring, a native of Ireland, provided a right-of-way for the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway for its Kerrville line.



Click here to read more about it...

Holy Angels Academy Catholic School 1896 - in/near Boerne

Click photo to enlarge

Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)

Holy Angels Academy Catholic School


The early German residents of Boerne would have their children first attend a local Catholic school for one or two years to be trained to learn about their religion. Holy Angels Academy began it's schooling in 1899. The Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word began the schools and also the medical facilities (sanitariums) in the Boerne area. This building was torn down in 1930.




Click here to read more about it...

The beginnings of Kendalia 1883 - in/near Kendalia

Click photo to enlarge

Photo Credit: Jay Pennington  
click to their website

The beginnings of Kendalia


Kendalia was first surveyed by D. W. Grady in 1883 for early settler Carl Gustav Vogel, who built a gin and gristmill at the town. In 1895 the post office records were transferred from Curry`s Creek to Kendalia.



Click here to read more about it...

Boerne White Sox - 1914 1914 - in/near Boerne

Click photo to enlarge

Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)  
click to their website

Boerne White Sox - 1914


Boerne White Sox - 1914 Baseball and the Boerne White Sox were great entertainment for the Boerne public. The team would play other teams in Central and South Texas. Today there is an active Boerne White Sox team in honor of those days and they wear the same team uniforms.

Chat with Col. Bettie Edmonds - Sept 2013


Click here to read more about it...

 

FILTERS: Markers     Historic_Event     Cemeteries     Activities
The beginnings of Sisterdale / 1847-00-00The beginnings of Kendalia / 1883-00-00
The beginnings of Comfort / 1854-00-00
The beginnings of Waring / 1887-00-00Speak Easy  / 1910-01-05
The beginnings of Welfare / 1875-00-00
Guadalupe Post Office - Est 1874 / 1874
The beginnings of Bergheim / 1901-00-00
The beginnings of Boerne / 1852-00-00
Boerne Public School - class of 1908 / 1908Boerne Fire DepartmentTelephone Bldg - 1917 / 1917
               comments