- Kendalia was first surveyed by D. W. Grady in 1883 for early settler Carl Gustav Vogel, who built a gin and gristmill at the town. In 1895 the post office records were transferred from Curry`s Creek to Kendalia.
Boerne Village Band - 1890 This is the oldest continuous German band outside of Germany that still plays outdoor concerts each summer in the Boerne park. Music was very important to the German settlers - many bringing their instruments with them when they came from Germany.
Once known as Bonton, the original name of the 1875 post office, it was changed to Welfare in 1880, possibly for the German word `Wohlfarht`, meaning pleasant trip. Carl Phillip Beseler was area`s first postmaster: serving Bonton and then as the first postmaster for Welfare.
Adler store 1918 - Snow! This location later became Bergmann Lumber & hardware. The streets had only recently been paved for the first time. The wooden built stores in this area burned down in the early 1900s.
Rudolph Allerkamp Store being built 1908 (Comfort)
Rudolph Allerkamp Store being built 1908-1909 - In picture left to right, unknown, unknown, Richard Schladoer, Eddy Allerkamp, Henry Allerkamp, Richard Doebbler, Rudolph Allerkamp - building the Allerkamp Store on High St., in Comfort.
The early German residents of Boerne would have their children first attend a local Catholic school for one or two years to be trained to learn about their religion. Holy Angels Academy began it's schooling in 1899. The Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word began the schools and also the medical facilities (sanitariums) in the Boerne area. This building was torn down in 1930.