Boerne Livery 1920s This was an important point in time between using horses for transportation and the automobile. A trip to San Antonio by cart would take a day then you'd spend the next day in San Antonio then take another day to get back to Boerne.
The town was laid out by Ernst Hermann Altgelt along the banks of the Cypress Creek above its confluence with the Guadalupe River. Freemasons, freethinkers, and political activists from Bettina and Sisterdale settled the area. The town was a center of Union sentiment during the Civil War and lost many young men at the battle of the Nueces in 1862.
Built in 1888 with opera being the popular entertainment of the times. As vaudeville (comedic acts, song and dance/burlesque) became popular the Opera House became a vaudeville stage and was renamed the Plaza Theatre. As the "talkie" pictures became popular vaudeville faded and the Opera House became a movie theater. In 1966 the Opera House was torn down and the Ebner Pharmacy built their shop there. This photo (1910) shows the Boerne Gesang Verein singing club - that was begun to compliment the Boerne German band.
Guadalupe Post Office - Est 1874 1874 - in/near Bergheim
Click photo to enlarge
Guadalupe Post Office - Est 1874
Ever heard of the Guadalupe Post Office…nobody has, even the old timers who were once with us never got it right as to location and postmaster. It opened in 1874 in the home of Charles Wenzel. Here is a small portion of the postal map that was part of the submission process. At the time Charles owned two adjacent 160 acre parcels in eastern Kendall County along the Guadalupe River (hence the name) in what is now the WaterStone subdivision. His neighboring post offices were few…Curry’s Creek was the closest in Kendall County, Spring Branch in Comal County. Charles ran the Guadalupe Post Office for 5 years.