Menu:     Home    About/Contact    Markers    Activities    Landmarks    Bergheim    Boerne    Comfort    Kendalia    Sisterdale    Waring    Welfare    Add-Event   M
Upcoming Activities:


Richard Caldwell interviewing Herff decendents

Boerne Public School - class of 1908 - Event in/near Boerne


Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)   click to their website

Boerne Public School - class of 1908


- Boerne Public School - class of 1908 School built 1874 This was the first school - all grades were taught together and was in German not English. Zoom into this photo to see the bare feet and Victorian clothing at the time.


Location of this event:
Boerne Public School - class of 1908

Today's Five !!!

The Boerne Opera House 1888 - in/near Boerne

Click photo to enlarge

Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)

The Boerne Opera House


Built in 1888 with opera being the popular entertainment of the times. As vaudeville (comedic acts, song and dance/burlesque) became popular the Opera House became a vaudeville stage and was renamed the Plaza Theatre. As the "talkie" pictures became popular vaudeville faded and the Opera House became a movie theater. In 1966 the Opera House was torn down and the Ebner Pharmacy built their shop there. This photo (1910) shows the Boerne Gesang Verein singing club - that was begun to compliment the Boerne German band.




Click here to read more about it...

The beginnings of Kendalia 1883 - in/near Kendalia

Click photo to enlarge

Photo Credit: Jay Pennington  
click to their website

The beginnings of Kendalia


Kendalia was first surveyed by D. W. Grady in 1883 for early settler Carl Gustav Vogel, who built a gin and gristmill at the town. In 1895 the post office records were transferred from Curry`s Creek to Kendalia.



Click here to read more about it...

Boerne White Sox - 1914 1914 - in/near Boerne

Click photo to enlarge

Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)  
click to their website

Boerne White Sox - 1914


Boerne White Sox - 1914 Baseball and the Boerne White Sox were great entertainment for the Boerne public. The team would play other teams in Central and South Texas. Today there is an active Boerne White Sox team in honor of those days and they wear the same team uniforms.

Chat with Col. Bettie Edmonds - Sept 2013


Click here to read more about it...

Karger Farm - 1894 - Comfort 1894 - in/near Comfort

Click photo to enlarge

Photo Credit: Photo courtesy of Anne Stewart

Karger Farm - 1894 - Comfort


The Paul and Dora Karger Farm in 1894. The large irrigation tank was built to irrigate this early commercial produce farm. Produce was taken to the Mexican Market in San Antonio to sell to the highest bidder. George Karger is on the framed structure, left to right, Dora, Paul, Betty, Elspeth and Alfred Karger.



Click here to read more about it...

St. Mary's Sanitarium 1896 - in/near Boerne

Click photo to enlarge

Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)

St. Mary's Sanitarium


A facility used for the treatment of tuberculosis (TB). One of the founders of this sanitarium was Dr. Ferdinand Herff, a prominent early German settler in Boerne. Dr. Herff was instrumental in getting the railroad from San Antonio to Boerne which would help get his patients to Boerne. Boerne was a center for the treatment of TB due to its fresh air as at this point there were no antibiotics for TB. This building was torn down in 1930.




Click here to read more about it...

 

FILTERS: Markers     Historic_Event     Cemeteries     Activities
The beginnings of Sisterdale / 1847-00-00The beginnings of Kendalia / 1883-00-00
The beginnings of Comfort / 1854-00-00
The beginnings of Waring / 1887-00-00Speak Easy  / 1910-01-05
The beginnings of Welfare / 1875-00-00
Guadalupe Post Office - Est 1874 / 1874
The beginnings of Bergheim / 1901-00-00
The beginnings of Boerne / 1852-00-00
Boerne Public School - class of 1908 / 1908Boerne Fire DepartmentTelephone Bldg - 1917 / 1917
               comments