Menu:     Home    About/Contact    Markers    Activities    Landmarks    Bergheim    Boerne    Comfort    Kendalia    Sisterdale    Waring    Welfare    Add-Event   M
Upcoming Activities:


Richard Caldwell interviewing Herff decendents

The beginnings of Welfare - Event in/near Welfare


Photo Credit: Jay Pennington   click to their website

The beginnings of Welfare


- Once known as Bonton, the original name of the 1875 post office, it was changed to Welfare in 1880, possibly for the German word `Wohlfarht`, meaning pleasant trip. Carl Phillip Beseler was area`s first postmaster: serving Bonton and then as the first postmaster for Welfare.


Location of this event:
The beginnings of Welfare

Today's Five !!!

Boerne Public School - class of 1908 1908 - in/near Boerne

Click photo to enlarge

Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)  
click to their website

Boerne Public School - class of 1908


Boerne Public School - class of 1908 School built 1874 This was the first school - all grades were taught together and was in German not English. Zoom into this photo to see the bare feet and Victorian clothing at the time.

Chat with Col. Bettie Edmonds - Sept 2013


Click here to read more about it...

Guadalupe Post Office - Est 1874 1874 - in/near Bergheim

Click photo to enlarge

Guadalupe Post Office - Est 1874


Ever heard of the Guadalupe Post Office…nobody has, even the old timers who were once with us never got it right as to location and postmaster. It opened in 1874 in the home of Charles Wenzel. Here is a small portion of the postal map that was part of the submission process. At the time Charles owned two adjacent 160 acre parcels in eastern Kendall County along the Guadalupe River (hence the name) in what is now the WaterStone subdivision. His neighboring post offices were few…Curry’s Creek was the closest in Kendall County, Spring Branch in Comal County. Charles ran the Guadalupe Post Office for 5 years.



Click here to read more about it...

The Boerne Opera House 1888 - in/near Boerne

Click photo to enlarge

Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)

The Boerne Opera House


Built in 1888 with opera being the popular entertainment of the times. As vaudeville (comedic acts, song and dance/burlesque) became popular the Opera House became a vaudeville stage and was renamed the Plaza Theatre. As the "talkie" pictures became popular vaudeville faded and the Opera House became a movie theater. In 1966 the Opera House was torn down and the Ebner Pharmacy built their shop there. This photo (1910) shows the Boerne Gesang Verein singing club - that was begun to compliment the Boerne German band.




Click here to read more about it...

Rudolph Allerkamp Store being built 1908 (Comfort) 1908 - in/near Comfort

Click photo to enlarge

Photo Credit: Photo courtesy of Esther Wiedenfeld

Rudolph Allerkamp Store being built 1908 (Comfort)


Rudolph Allerkamp Store being built 1908-1909 - In picture left to right, unknown, unknown, Richard Schladoer, Eddy Allerkamp, Henry Allerkamp, Richard Doebbler, Rudolph Allerkamp - building the Allerkamp Store on High St., in Comfort.



Click here to read more about it...

Telephone Bldg - 1917 1917 - in/near Boerne

Click photo to enlarge

Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)  
click to their website

Telephone Bldg - 1917


Telephone Bldg - 1917

Chat with Col. Bettie Edmonds - Oct 2013


Click here to read more about it...

 

FILTERS: Markers     Historic_Event     Cemeteries     Activities
The beginnings of Sisterdale / 1847-00-00The beginnings of Kendalia / 1883-00-00
The beginnings of Comfort / 1854-00-00
The beginnings of Waring / 1887-00-00Speak Easy  / 1910-01-05
The beginnings of Welfare / 1875-00-00
Guadalupe Post Office - Est 1874 / 1874
The beginnings of Bergheim / 1901-00-00
The beginnings of Boerne / 1852-00-00
Boerne Public School - class of 1908 / 1908Boerne Fire DepartmentTelephone Bldg - 1917 / 1917
               comments