Menu:     Home    About/Contact    Markers    Activities    Landmarks    Bergheim    Boerne    Comfort    Kendalia    Sisterdale    Waring    Welfare    Add-Event   M
Upcoming Activities:


Richard Caldwell interviewing Herff decendents

The beginnings of Sisterdale - Event in/near Sisterdale


Photo Credit: Jay Pennington   click to their website

The beginnings of Sisterdale


- Nicolaus Zink was the 1st settler in Kendall County. His community in the idyllic valley of Sister Creek became one of the famous `Latin Settlements`. The leader of these free-thinking farmers was Ottomar von Behr and the circle included, Ernst Kapp, August Siemering, Julius Dresel, Gustav Theisen, and Edward Degener.


Location of this event:
The beginnings of Sisterdale

Today's Five !!!

Holy Angels Academy Catholic School 1896 - in/near Boerne

Click photo to enlarge

Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)

Holy Angels Academy Catholic School


The early German residents of Boerne would have their children first attend a local Catholic school for one or two years to be trained to learn about their religion. Holy Angels Academy began it's schooling in 1899. The Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word began the schools and also the medical facilities (sanitariums) in the Boerne area. This building was torn down in 1930.




Click here to read more about it...

The beginnings of Bergheim 1901 - in/near Bergheim

Click photo to enlarge

Photo Credit: Jay Pennington  
click to their website

The beginnings of Bergheim


Bergheim (Home in the Hills) was established by Andreas Engel. In 1900 Engel sold his first store and bought three acres of land at the site of the present Bergheim Post Office (1901). A cotton gin was installed in 1900 and he opened the store in 1903.



Click here to read more about it...

Main Plaza Gezebo in 1875 1900 - in/near Boerne

Click photo to enlarge

Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)  
click to their website

Main Plaza Gezebo in 1875


Main Plaza Gezebo in 1875 At this time Boerne was a health resort area due to the springs and the fresh air. Main plaza and the Gezebo being the center of activity of visitors and weekends for Boerne's farmers and ranchers.

Chat with Col. Bettie Edmonds - Sept 2013


Click here to read more about it...

Guadalupe Post Office - Est 1874 1874 - in/near Bergheim

Click photo to enlarge

Guadalupe Post Office - Est 1874


Ever heard of the Guadalupe Post Office…nobody has, even the old timers who were once with us never got it right as to location and postmaster. It opened in 1874 in the home of Charles Wenzel. Here is a small portion of the postal map that was part of the submission process. At the time Charles owned two adjacent 160 acre parcels in eastern Kendall County along the Guadalupe River (hence the name) in what is now the WaterStone subdivision. His neighboring post offices were few…Curry’s Creek was the closest in Kendall County, Spring Branch in Comal County. Charles ran the Guadalupe Post Office for 5 years.



Click here to read more about it...

Adler Hardware 1918 - Snow! 1918 - in/near Boerne

Click photo to enlarge

Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)  
click to their website

Adler Hardware 1918 - Snow!


Adler store 1918 - Snow! This location later became Bergmann Lumber & hardware. The streets had only recently been paved for the first time. The wooden built stores in this area burned down in the early 1900s.

Chat with Col. Bettie Edmonds - Sept 2013


Click here to read more about it...

 

FILTERS: Markers     Historic_Event     Cemeteries     Activities
The beginnings of Sisterdale / 1847-00-00The beginnings of Kendalia / 1883-00-00
The beginnings of Comfort / 1854-00-00
The beginnings of Waring / 1887-00-00Speak Easy  / 1910-01-05
The beginnings of Welfare / 1875-00-00
Guadalupe Post Office - Est 1874 / 1874
The beginnings of Bergheim / 1901-00-00
The beginnings of Boerne / 1852-00-00
Boerne Public School - class of 1908 / 1908Boerne Fire DepartmentTelephone Bldg - 1917 / 1917
               comments